Monday 25 October 2010

Changing emotion and a tongue in slow-motion

For the emotion change assignment, I chose to use a character based on the block boy in the horribly addictive game, Minecraft.



It's REALLY addictive.



AND NOW the animatic (Blame YouTube's ridiculous processing time)


So here's the setup:
The guy is mining away, bored out of his mind.
Suddenly, his pick-axe strikes diamonds. He instantly perks up and starts digging enthusiastically.
Beaming with joy, he scrambles up his diamonds.
Just as he turns around to leave, however, he freezes, dropping the diamonds.
The camera pans out to reveal a creeper looming right over him. He is stricken with fear.
The screen cuts to black as the creeper makes its characteristic hissing noise....
...then...
BOOM!

Despite being a 3D, java-based game, I chose to make this in 2D, as it would have taken too long to model and rig a little block boy.
Also, I'm ashamed to say, I did make a custom skin of myself for this game.



Moving on;
I've been back at the ol' arrowtongue rig. I've been improving my rigging skills and made a NURBS-based control system, including a slider for the creature's eponymous striking tongue:


I also added the dorsal papillae

They seem to deform pretty well, although that one at the top is being tugged at by the right dorsal spike.
All down to weight painting.
Horrible, horrible weight painting -_-'

It still needs texturing and tweaking, but it feels like the end is, at last, in sight.

Finally;
Some doodles including a more 'realistic' volumey sketchy style of a Fentil creature or two:


Lastly, some interesting animations I found while trawling YouTube

King of Magazines

I really like the style of this video, mixing FBF with some clever tweening to get objects to throb to the beat.

STORM

Based on a 9 minute beat poem by Tim Minchin, and Australian comedian/musician, Storm is about a dinner guest who repeatedly blurts out cliched lines about science not knowing stuff.
Tim Minchin has been doing quite a few videos with a guy called Fraser Davidson. They also collaborated on a video I posted earlier in the year called the Pope Song. They all share Davidson's flat, colourful, almost cut-outish style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyal Followers